A blade smithing day
Before the course you will receive a guide to general blade designs & uses and a ‘design sheet’ which will help you in the designing of your full-tang blade. You can also just bring along ‘an image from the net’ and sketch it out on the day! I’m not looking for anything too accurate, just a general idea of proportions and profile. You will also receive a video link. The first video is an introduction into the use of the anvil and hearth; how to achieve the correct heat in the right place; minimum and maximum heat ranges and their corresponding colors as well as health & safety. The second video shows the various steps in forging and covers tips on hammer and anvil use specific to blade smithing.
9am – 1pm. Once you have picked an anvil and sketched out your design, you will spend the morning forging. Since 2010 we must have had at least 2000 participants through the forge and one of the things that people often mention, is their surprise of how much freedom they are given in the forging of their blade. We aim to finish the forging process by 1pm where you leave us to grind and sand your blade while you take a break.
1-3pm: Lunch break during which you are required to watch another video which covers the finishing process as well as information on the heat treatments. The Russborough Café is open March – December.
3-4pm. Hardening and sharpening of the blade.
Please go to our bladesmithing ‘Q & A‘ or read our blog https://calnan-anhoj.ie/our-bladesmithing-courses-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/
WANT MORE THEORY?
If you are thinking of going into blade-smithing on a professional level and for a more in depth program of the theory of heat treatments – UK blade-smith Owen Bush’s courses come highly recommended: www.owenbush.co.uk
Covid-19 Safety Measures
- Social distancing.
- Facemask wearing (you must bring your own)
- Additional ‘PPE’ includes a new pair of leather rigger gloves for each participant to bring home after. Safety goggles provided are disinfected after each use (or bring your own if you prefer)
- All windows and doors will be wide open.
- Instructional videos to shorten time spent together.
- Participants have their own set of colour coded hand tools which will be disinfected after each course.
- Group sizes comply with current restrictions.